Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Tonight I Met The Other Woman

The one he will spend his day with.
The one he will see more hours during the week than he will see me.
The one who will guide him thru his days.
The one who he will go to with his problems.
The one who will help him when he falls and scrapes his knee.
The one who will tie his shoes when they come undone.
The one who will hear the funny things he says.
The one who he will listen to.



I met my sons' kindergarten teacher tonight.


And I am having a hard time thinking that there will be another woman in his life. I mean, he is MY BOY.



I have waited for about, ummmmm, roughly 5 years to send this boy to Kindergarten!

But now, the orientation is over, we've met the teacher, dropped off the supplies, filled our cubby with a nap blanket and a paint shirt, and paid our milk money.

And I am having second thoughts.

I thought I would be doing a jig down the street when I put him on the schoolbus. I envisioned a quite, serene house, and not having to answer 8,847 questions before lunch.
I thought I'd get more done around here with the boy in school...no one would need me to pitch the baseball to him, play catch, build a fort, and "come look at this BUG!"
He will not be around to dump clean, folded clothes out of the laundry basket because he needs an animal "cage".
There will not be the constant noise of the Shake and Go Speedway or the A-NOY-ING
bbbbbb----eeeeeee-----ppppppp sound of the Buzz Lightyear blaster going off.
There will be no one around to ask me if I want to wrestle, or practicing Tae Kwon Do moves screaming "KEEEEEYYYYYY-YAAAAHHHHHH" at the top of his lungs.

It will be very quite around my house next week.

And I'm going to have a hard time getting used to that.

1 comment:

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Oh...so sweet and sentimental. I am sure it is hard letting go even though there are parts we anticipate! I have an extra year before K starts - she missed the cut off!