Thursday, September 20, 2007

They Are Wise Beyond Their Years...and I Need to Listen

Yesterday was a bad day. I was just in a bad mood all day. There was really no reason why, I was just tired and crabby.

And so I might have done a little to much yelling.

Not really yelling, I guess, because I'm not much of a screamer. It was much more like snippy, short, frustrated sounding, loud talking. And nothing much I said all day was very nice. And no one who had to listen to me snip and snap all day deserved it. Least of all Gracie. I am pretty sure she didn't want to be with me all day long with the kind of crab I was being. Seeing as how she's 3 though, she didn't have a whole lot of options.

And then towards the end of the day, she gave me a hug, looked right into my eyes and said,

"You're the best mommy. I love you very much. But you're kinda mean."


And she was right.

And I was thankful that she could still love me unconditionally even though I was having a bad day. She gets it.

And now, so do I.

Also yesterday, I read this, which was posted by JMom at Lots of Scotts. I do not think it was any accident that I came across this on one of my crabbiest, most unreasonable and ungrateful days in quite a while. JMom's words speak to me. I read her blog every day. She is an amazing mom and writer who writes with insight and wisdom and I leave her blog inspired every day. She loves every single day of her life, and her writing reminds me to do the same.


So Thank You Gracie and JMom...today will be a better day.

3 comments:

Mary@notbefore7 said...

I am off to read JMom. I related to this today, so much. I am having a rough time with my 3 year old right now...and I don't think being sick is helping.

MorningSong said...

I have been there too! My daughter does the same 'You are the best Mommy' when I know I've been a bear! It always makes me feel awful. She is so encouraging and loving.

You are not alone, we all have days like this. I am hoping to make them fewer and fewer, I pray!

Blessings.

Amy Plumb said...

We are all human and have bad days. Thank goodness our children love us and remind us what a great job we are doing.