Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Circle the Wagons, it's Tiny Talk Tuesday

Mary is hosting Tiny Talk Tuesday today. It is always fun to read what these crazy kids of ours are saying! Be sure to go and check it out.

My two older daughters have been relentlessly campaigning all summer for their own cell phones. Their complaints have fallen on deaf ears. Because really, they are 8 and 9 years old, where do they go without me??? No Place, that's where.

I have tried to explain many times to them that they are too young for cell phones and they are not getting one. And, they are not free.

This weekend we were driving and my 8 year old said to me, "How old were you when you got a cell phone?"

And I'm pretty sure the answer she was looking for was 8 or 9.

I said, "Well we had a very unglamorous bag phone when I was in high school and after I graduated from college I had a car phone that was mounted in my car, but the kind of phone you are talking about...I was like 30 years old. We Did Not Have Cell Phones When I Was A Kid. I repeat...you do not need a cell phone."

And so she says, totally serious, "Just because you grew up in olden times, we can never get anything."



THE OLDEN TIMES???



I said I didn't have a cell phone, not that I rode around in a covered wagon, for pete's sake.

8 comments:

Darlene R. said...

My son is 10 and is just certain that he NEEDS a cell phone. Whatever! Like you said, where does he go without me?
The "olden times" cracked me up. It's kinda the same thing with the digital camera. They just don't get that we had to wait a week to get pictures back! (say it isn't so!) I take their picture and they say "I want to see, I want to see"!

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

Try telling your kids that there were no laptops when you were growing up. Watch their expressions of shock and horror at how deprived you were.

Amy said...

Oh my gosh, what a funny story! So much has changed since we were kids, isn't it amazing?

Anonymous said...

We love to do "back in the day" with our kids, like no computers, the first answering machine, VCR etc. It is too funny, although not great on making me feel any younger.

My husband got my 9 year old a cell phone a couple of months ago. I was very against it, now I have to admit I love it.

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Oh the things I have to look forward to :) That cracks me up - olden times! So glad you participated!

AnnG said...

Sounds familiar...my 3 year old already says when can I have a cell phone, like big brother....now granted it is of no importance to him that big brother has a job, a car and numerous other activities. He "needs a cell phone, cuz his brother has one."

... said...

i don't remember thinking my parents were old until i became a teenager. then they were just normal parent old.

but my kids have always thought of their parents as OLD. older than dirt is what i usually get. i think it does have something to do with all the technology today. they can't imagine a world without cell phones or computers. so anyone who didn't have them growing up must be REALLY OLD. haha =]

onemotherslove said...

I am sooo laughing on this one! I think I was 32 when I got my first cell phone!